Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cracking suicide: hackers try to engineer a cure for depression


It was a late night in May. Renderman, the computer hacker notorious for discovering that outdated air traffic control software could be used to reroute planes mid-flight, was feeling shitty. The stress of digging himself out of debt he’d accumulated during years of underemployment was compounded by the feeling of being trapped in a job he hated. He was forgetful and couldn’t focus on anything. “Depression has sapped my motivation and lust for life,” he later wrote. “I can't remember the last time I worked on a project ... it's like I'm a ghost in my own life. Just existing but with no form ... I’m most definitely not myself.”


Feeling slightly buzzed after a few beers, he decided to speak out. “My name is Renderman and I...


Continue reading…






via The Verge - All Posts http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/14/4618718/hacker-depression-def-con

No comments:

Post a Comment