Thursday, March 26, 2015

Talking to Heems about Eat Pray Thug, spiritual tourism, and skipping his SXSW panel

After a few years of working with and talking to music writers, you get a certain idea of what it’s like to interview Himanshu Suri, aka Heems, formerly of the novelty-turned-too-real-for-their-own-good rap group Das Racist. He’s checked out, or belligerent, or both. Or maybe he just falls asleep in the middle of the interview.


Still, I genuinely wanted to talk to him, if only because I feel like my listener / observer relationship goes back with him a sneaky long way; to be honest, I've been rooting for him. I remember years ago clicking on a YouTube link sent to me by my then-boyfriend (an acquaintance of Heems’) that led to something called “Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell” when it still had under 1,000 views, then meeting him...


Continue reading…






via The Verge - All Posts http://ift.tt/1ye78Yo

No comments:

Post a Comment